Change to logging exceptions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Change to logging exceptions

Bryant Luk
As mentioned by djna on wink-user regarding the exception logging,
there is a lot of logging going on if an exception is thrown from a
resource method (which can happen multiple times and is expected for
whatever reason).  I think the request to reduce the logging is
reasonable and I'll change the logging behavior in the trunk later
unless someone has an objection.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Change to logging exceptions

Nicholas L Gallardo

+1

User exceptions shouldn't be logged given that they may be a normal part of the exchange.



Nicholas Gallardo
WebSphere - REST & WebServices Development
[hidden email]
Phone: 512-286-6258
Building: 903 / 5G-016

Bryant Luk ---12/11/2009 03:37:26 PM---As mentioned by djna on wink-user regarding the exception logging,


To

[hidden email]

cc


Subject

Change to logging exceptions

As mentioned by djna on wink-user regarding the exception logging,
there is a lot of logging going on if an exception is thrown from a
resource method (which can happen multiple times and is expected for
whatever reason).  I think the request to reduce the logging is
reasonable and I'll change the logging behavior in the trunk later
unless someone has an objection.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Change to logging exceptions

Michael Elman
Administrator
I think it's not so obvious. Generally you say that user exceptions should
not be printed to log. But how can you distinguish between user thrown
WebApplicationException and Wink thrown such an exception?

In addition I think that there are users, who would like to know if their
code throws an exception, since it indicates a problem, an the only place
that can catch and log it is Wink (yes, there are at least two other
options: implement a handlers or implement an ExceptionMapper, but I think
that user expects logging out of the box).

The compromise can be sending the stacktrace to log only at debug level.

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:42 PM, Nicholas L Gallardo
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> +1
>
> User exceptions shouldn't be logged given that they may be a normal part of
> the exchange.
>
>
>
> Nicholas Gallardo
> WebSphere - REST & WebServices Development
> [hidden email]
> Phone: 512-286-6258
> Building: 903 / 5G-016
>
> [image: Inactive hide details for Bryant Luk ---12/11/2009 03:37:26 PM---As
> mentioned by djna on wink-user regarding the exception logg]Bryant Luk
> ---12/11/2009 03:37:26 PM---As mentioned by djna on wink-user regarding the
> exception logging,
>
>
>     *Bryant Luk <[hidden email]>*
>
>             12/11/2009 03:36 PM
>             Please respond to
>             [hidden email]
>
>
> To
>
> [hidden email]
> cc
>
>
> Subject
>
> Change to logging exceptions
>
> As mentioned by djna on wink-user regarding the exception logging,
> there is a lot of logging going on if an exception is thrown from a
> resource method (which can happen multiple times and is expected for
> whatever reason).  I think the request to reduce the logging is
> reasonable and I'll change the logging behavior in the trunk later
> unless someone has an objection.
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Change to logging exceptions

Bryant Luk
Just to throw some more thoughts out here.

For the default path, I think that exceptions (besides
WebApplicationException) are re-thrown to the container per the JAX-RS
spec and I think it should be the responsibility of the container to
log an exception being thrown.  If Wink logs it, then it has the
possibility to be logged twice.  I think users who don't want the
logging have no way of turning the logging of exceptions off when they
use exceptions as part of their normal resource method code (without
potentially turning off all of the logging from Wink).

I think if a developer chooses to intercept a
non-WebApplicationException with an ExceptionMapper and/or handler,
the developer should log it.  I think this would reduce logging for
the case mentioned on wink-user since the re-thrown exception would
only be logged by the container (if the container does that).

For WebApplicationExceptions, I think the intent is that the developer
already knows they want a specific response to be sent back
specifically for the JAX-RS code path.  Just my experience, but in
most cases it's being used for control flow when developers cannot
modify their method signatures to return a Response or throw an
exception that they can easily map back via ExceptionMapper.

In any case, I think that WINK-240 satisfies the compromise and meets
the use case described on wink-user so that a message is still sent to
the logs at info level that an exception was thrown and the stacktrace
at debug level.  If a user wants more logging (i.e. if they want the
stacktrace at warning level), they can implement an ExceptionMapper to
do it so hopefully this meets everyone's need.

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Michael Elman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think it's not so obvious. Generally you say that user exceptions should
> not be printed to log. But how can you distinguish between user thrown
> WebApplicationException and Wink thrown such an exception?
>
> In addition I think that there are users, who would like to know if their
> code throws an exception, since it indicates a problem, an the only place
> that can catch and log it is Wink (yes, there are at least two other
> options: implement a handlers or implement an ExceptionMapper, but I think
> that user expects logging out of the box).
>
> The compromise can be sending the stacktrace to log only at debug level.
>
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:42 PM, Nicholas L Gallardo
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> User exceptions shouldn't be logged given that they may be a normal part of
>> the exchange.
>>
>>
>>
>> Nicholas Gallardo
>> WebSphere - REST & WebServices Development
>> [hidden email]
>> Phone: 512-286-6258
>> Building: 903 / 5G-016
>>
>> [image: Inactive hide details for Bryant Luk ---12/11/2009 03:37:26 PM---As
>> mentioned by djna on wink-user regarding the exception logg]Bryant Luk
>> ---12/11/2009 03:37:26 PM---As mentioned by djna on wink-user regarding the
>> exception logging,
>>
>>
>>     *Bryant Luk <[hidden email]>*
>>
>>             12/11/2009 03:36 PM
>>             Please respond to
>>             [hidden email]
>>
>>
>> To
>>
>> [hidden email]
>> cc
>>
>>
>> Subject
>>
>> Change to logging exceptions
>>
>> As mentioned by djna on wink-user regarding the exception logging,
>> there is a lot of logging going on if an exception is thrown from a
>> resource method (which can happen multiple times and is expected for
>> whatever reason).  I think the request to reduce the logging is
>> reasonable and I'll change the logging behavior in the trunk later
>> unless someone has an objection.
>>
>>
>